Entry conditions

Before your arrival

In order to complete your research project in France, certain formalities must be completed before your departure and upon your arrival.

PhD - Doctoral Students /Researchers with an UPVD agreement "convention d'accueil"

The "convention d'accueil" is the official document specifying the type and duration of your research project. Only holders of a "convention d'accueil" can claim the status of "Chercheur" in France.

The host organization in France is responsible for establishing the hosting agreement, which is validated by the establishment. For more information on the hosting agreement, contact the Service de la Recherche et de la Valorisation (SRV), or Human Resources.

The host organization will then send it to you. You will need to provide this when you apply for a long-stay "passeport talent chercheur" or "scientifique" visa from the French consulate in your country of origin before your departure, or when you renew your residence permit if you are already in France.

Eligibility criteria for researcher status :

  • Diploma: hold a diploma at least equivalent to a MASTER degree
  • Resources: hold an employment contract or a grant guaranteeing the necessary financial resources (equivalent to the Minimum Interprofessional Growth Salary -SMIC-).

The hosting agreement is equivalent to a work permit in France, and therefore exempts you from having to apply to the DIRECCTE -Labour Inspection- to take up employment.

Please note: if you are enrolled in a doctoral program at a French higher education institution without a host country agreement, "student" status applies.

Visa before arrival

A visa is required for legal entry into France. You must apply for one at the French consulate/embassy in your home country, before you leave. There are many different types of visa, depending on the type and length of your stay in France, and the procedures and options available once you're in France.

Please note: Nationals of member states of the European Union, the European Economic Area and Switzerland, Monaco, Andorra and San Marino are exempt from visa requirements.

Long-stay: Visas « D » long séjour

"Passeport Talent Chercheur" / "Scientifique-Chercheur": VISA granted only to doctoral or post-doctoral students holding a "convention d'accueil" validated by the Prefecture:

"Passeport talent chercheur R311-3-9°" or "scientifique-chercheur" (Algerians), or "passeport talent chercheur L313-20 4°".

"Student": VISA granted to doctoral students (or lower levels) enrolled in a French higher education institution, who do not hold a host agreement.

"Passeport Talent Famille": VISA granted to the partners of researchers who come to stay in France.

"Visitor": VISA granted to partners of students (doctoral students or below).

Short-stay: Visas « C » court séjour

This visa, granted for a stay of less than 90 days, allows you to stay legally in France for the duration of the visa's validity, but does not allow you to extend your stay afterwards.

If you are staying in France for less than 3 months, you must apply for a short-stay visa. In this case, you do not need to provide a host agreement ; a letter of invitation from the university is sufficient to formalize your stay.

Europeans citizens

If you are a citizen of the European Union, the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you can live and work in France without a VISA. No administrative formalities are required.

After your arrival in France
There are several steps to take once you're arrived in France, depending on your status. Our partner Euraxess Occitanie Est informs and assists all researchers and PhD students in Occitanie in their application for a Residence Permit. The International Welcome Desk at the UPVD is there to help and inform you about the procedures to follow:
  • You are a doctoral student with "student" status
  • You are a doctoral student or researcher with "Passeport Talent" status
  • You are the partner of a doctoral student or researcher

Updated : July 12, 2023