Looking for accommodation

Finding accommodation is an important step for all international students. There are several solutions, and it is up to you to choose the one that suits you best.



For non-EU international students : remember that you must be able to prove that you have accommodation in order to obtain your visa. You must therefore have found accommodation before you apply for a visa.

Deposit and inventory of fixtures

Whichever solution you choose, you will have to pay a :

  • On moving into a rental accommodation, each tenant pays a deposit (equivalent to one month's rent). This money is tied up until the end of the lease and can be used to pay for any damage caused by the tenant. If no damage is found, the deposit is returned in full.
  • The inventory of fixtures is usually done on the day you move in, it is an inspection of the general condition of the accommodation (wear and tear and maintenance). All defects must be noted, even the smallest ones. On the day you leave the flat, you will do a second inspection to make sure that you have not damaged it. If there are any defects that were not noted on the day you moved in, you may be charged for them and the cost of repairs will be deducted from your deposit.
From individual to individual or through an agency?

This is a question you have probably already asked yourself: should you go through a real estate agency or directly to individuals renting flats? It is obviously up to you to choose, depending on your wishes and your budget.

An estate agency allows you to have a single intermediary and a large number of flats. Be aware that agencies sometimes charge high fees. Renting from a private individual is generally cheaper but can be more time consuming as you have to do the research yourself and contact the owners.

Here are the main rental websites used in France:

Student residences

There are two types of student residences, private and public (CROUS).

CROUS is a public service that provides, among other things, student accommodation. International students wishing to apply for accommodation with CROUS should :

Open an account on the website mes services étudiants Apply for accommodation online from 12 July 2022

Admission is for one academic year and is subject to availability. On receipt of the decision email, you have 48 hours to pay your reservation online. Keep the payment receipt which will be requested when you sign your lease. If you do not reply within 48 hours, the accommodation will be offered to another student.

   You can also choose a private student residence. StudeaAppart CityOdalys and LogiFac are the main residences in Perpignan

  • Provide information about their course and registration 2022/23 using this form
Shared accomodation

Shared accommodation is a way for several students to live together. It has many advantages, including sharing the rent. Each student is responsible for the accommodation and pays his or her share, as well as the deposit, utilities and council tax. Sharing a flat is also the best way to meet people and share moments of conviviality.

You can find flatshare offers on the bon coin or the flatshare map. Also keep an eye on student Facebook groups, where ads are sometimes posted, also at le bon coin or la carte des colocs

More information

Updated : June 22, 2023